Dr. Sullivan's Commentary
Declaration of a Great Commission Resurgence
Statement by Dr. John Sullivan
Executive Director-Treasurer, Florida Baptist Convention
The following statement was presented by Dr. John Sullivan, executive director-treasurer to the State Board of Missions, the governing body of the Florida Baptist Convention during its May 29 meeting in Hialeah and is reprinted in its entirety.
There has been a great deal of discussion surrounding the Declaration of a Great Commission Resurgence in the Southern Baptist Convention being advanced by our convention president, Dr. Johnny Hunt. Let me make some remarks about it and offer a suggestion.
- I do believe in the principles addressed in the Declaration and have communicated this to both Dr. Hunt and Dr. Danny Aiken, President of Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary and one of the architects of the document.
- I have a meeting scheduled with Dr. Hunt and others to address concerns and to affirm how we can best serve him in strengthening the Declaration and assisting in the implementation.
- I have not, at this time, signed the document and will not do so until I have had an opportunity to address my concerns.
- My daily prayer is that we will not make the signing of the document a test of fellowship. I assure you it is not with me and it has not been with Dr. Hunt.
- It is in my heart to be the very best, most efficient, deliberately dynamic and missional state convention affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention. We must be good stewards of all resources entrusted to us. This is a daily part of my life. The administrative staff (all division leaders) reviews staff effectiveness and efficiency on a regular basis.
- I will not be defensive of the work of the Florida Baptist Convention, but to review for more effective missions, evangelism and strengthening churches is not a problem. We need to set the pace.
I would like to suggest to the State Board that we ask the sitting president and all former presidents of the Florida Baptist State Convention for the last 20 years who are still serving in Florida, to become a Task Force to review every facet of the convention and bring recommendations back to the State Board of Missions for further discussion and recommendation to the Florida Baptist State Convention.
Motion to adopt by Barry Beauchamp. Second by Lazaro Alfonso.
Adopted by State Board of Missions.
SULLIVAN'S PREVIOUS ARTICLES
You may contact Dr. John Sullivan at 1-800-226-8584, ext. 3015, or by e-mail.